Do you have a natural science or biotechnical education, are you interested in nature protection and fisheries issues, do you want to contribute to the sustainable use of marine resources? Do you like traveling and communication with different profiles of people, in the long term you see yourself in a dynamic and open team aimed at achieving the goals of environmental and nature protection, the development of each individual within the team and the organization as a whole?
This time we are looking for you!
Association for nature, environment and sustainable development Sunce, announces
Competition for the position of “expert associate at the Nature Protection Program”
We accept applications for the competition from September 30, 2019.
We are hiring a new employee for full-time work for a fixed period of 12 months (trial work for 3 months), with the possibility of contract extension and further promotion to the position of project manager.
The employee will work on projects and services related to nature protection, with an emphasis on sea and coastal protection. In the first phase, the employee will primarily be engaged in projects related to the assessment and reduction of the impact of fishing activities on seabirds (Life Artina Project http://www.lifeartina.eu/) and the establishment of joint management in fisheries (co-management) in the area of the Velebit Channel, PP Telašćica and PP Lastovsko otočje (Establishment of a model of joint management of small commercial fisheries in the Mediterranean http://www.wwfadria.org/projekti/more/projekt_uspostava_modela_zajednikog_upravljanja_malim_gospodarskim_ribarstvom_u_sredozemlju_/
The employee will be involved in the creation of strategic documents in nature protection (management plans, action plans, etc.) and underwater field research (mapping of marine species and habitats, monitoring), in accordance with current knowledge and competences and the knowledge and skills they will acquire during work in the Association.
Preference will be given to candidates with knowledge of fisheries, interest in further training in this field, especially in the context of nature protection. Candidates are required to be communicative, strategic thinking and ready to work in different environments and with different groups of stakeholders.
Willingness to travel frequently, including abroad, is expected, as well as willingness to work on the preparation of various reports and preparation of administrative documentation for the implementation and reporting of projects.
Job description according to the Decision on the systematization of jobs and salaries of Sunce Association employees
- Assists the program manager in the implementation of program activities and related projects.
- Prepares and organizes meetings, workshops, lectures and trainings foreseen for the projects and activities of the program.
- Organizes and participates in the implementation of public and other events such as meetings, workshops, exhibitions, lectures, etc., prepares reports on the implementation.
- Creates, collects and distributes appropriate documentation, including minutes of meetings and reports of conducted activities and studies in Croatian and, depending on project requirements, in English.
- Participates in the organization and implementation of professional research work, data storage and processing.
- In cooperation with the program manager, coordinates the work of volunteers on the program and the work of students involved in professional practice and/or service-learning.
- Participates in the creation of communication, informational and educational materials.
- Maintains a list of contacts with the media, contacts the media with the aim of presenting the program’s activities, and manages the press clipping of the program.
- Prepares reports and contributions for the media about program activities and projects, the Association’s website and, if necessary, for other related websites.
- Participates in the creation of evaluation tools and processing of findings, regularly and as needed.
- Monitors legislation, professional literature and research relevant to the program and individual activities.
- Maintains contacts with program stakeholders and partners and, in coordination with the program manager, participates in the establishment of new partnerships in the country and abroad.
- Assists in the preparation of financial and narrative reports.
- Participates in activities of organizational development of the Association and programs.
- Performs daily administrative and office work.
- Bachelor of Science in Natural or Biotechnical Sciences
- A minimum of one year of work experience, preferably work experience in jobs similar to the offered position and topic.
- Excellent written and oral expression of the Croatian language.
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of the English language.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Driving license category B (active driver).
- Formal and informal education related to fishing and nature protection.
- Knowledge of the nature protection sector in Croatia.
- Knowledge of the fisheries sector.
- Experience in the preparation of professional and scientific papers and strategic documents, especially those related to marine protection and/or nature protection.
- Experience of participating in projects financed by EU funds.
- Experience of working and/or volunteering in the civil sector, familiarity with the activities of civil society organizations.
Required candidate profile
- Sensitivity to the problems of environmental and nature protection and high motivation for engagement in nature protection.
- Expressed responsible attitude towards the environment in everyday life.
- Willingness for frequent field work, travel and adaptability to sudden deadlines, different jobs and work environment.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Responsibility, proactivity and independence in work, but also readiness for teamwork.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple topics/projects.
- Willingness to learn and acquire new skills.
What we offer
The selected candidate will work with people with many years of experience in nature and environmental protection, marine protection and preservation, research implementation, public education and information, and project management. We offer the future employee to work in a dynamic and stimulating team. The working environment is aimed at the growth, development and strengthening of each team member and the strengthening of skills and knowledge as well as the acquisition of new ones, especially those related to the protection of nature and the sea. Work on international and national projects, active participation in nature protection through the civil sector, cooperation with stakeholders and networking, participation in numerous trainings, meetings and workshops are just some of the characteristics of this dynamic job.
It is necessary to attach the tender application:
- Resume – in Croatian.
- Letter of motivation – in English, up to a maximum of 800 words, which describes the skills and knowledge acquired so far relevant to the specified position, motivation to work in the Association, in the specified jobs, and personal expectations from the position and the organization.
Applications with the specified documentation are received exclusively by e-mail to the address [email protected]
Official start of submission of applications: September 30, 2019.
Application deadline: October 14, 2019.
The start of work is November 2019.
Candidate selection procedure:
A three-member committee will read all received applications and, based on their quality assessment, will select a maximum of 6 candidates to enter the shortlist, with whom interviews will be conducted and, if necessary, testing. Based on the interview and test results, the committee will select the best candidate. Candidates will be informed about the results of the competition and the possible interview via e-mail.