The Decision on reducing the use of single use plastic for the City of Stari Grad and institutions and companies in (co) ownership of the City, was signed and adopted on November 4th, 2021 at a City Council session of Town Stari Grad.
By passing this decision, measures will be adopted which determine the administrative bodies of the City of Stari Grad and institutions and companies (co) owned by the City to reduce the use of single use plastic by 30% and replace certain items used in business with more environmentally friendly solutions in order to prevent and / or reduce the adverse effects of certain plastic products on the environment.
The City of Stari Grad, in accordance with the Action Plan for the Reduction of Plastic Pollution in the City of Stari Grad for the period 2021-2026, to meet the obligations of the Directives of the European Parliament and the Council, to encourage officials of the City of Stari Grad to develop awareness of environmental protection and plastic pollution, especially in the marine environment, adopted the following measures:
1. placing containers for separate waste collection (plastic, paper, glass, electronic waste, biowaste, mixed municipal waste, etc.) in appropriate places within institutions and separating waste at the place of origin whenever possible, as well as ensuring adequate shipment and disposal of all separate-collected waste
2. replacement of single use plastic cups with glass or other reusable cups
3. ensuring the possibility of using reusable cups on coffee and water machines, ie completely eliminating the use of single use plastic cups
4. replacement of single use plastic cutlery and plastic coffee spoons with reusable metal utensils or available alternatives made of natural and biodegradable or compostable materials (wood, paper, fiber, sugar cane, bamboo cane, etc.)
5. replacement of single use plastic straws with reusable solutions (straws made of alternative materials such as paper, bamboo, steel)
6. Replacement of all single use plastic bags with reusable canvas or paper bags whenever possible
7. Digitization of documents and promotion of the use of electronic documents among employees, officials and employees whenever possible
8. replacement and purchase of office supplies and hygiene items without plastic packaging
9. ensuring the supply of beverages and other liquids exclusively in returnable packaging whenever possible
10. Gradual replacement and procurement of cleaning and personal hygiene products with environmentally friendly ingredients (such as natural cleaning agents) and the use of reusable products to reduce the generation of packaging waste.
It is recommended that all public events organized or co-organized, or financed or co-financed by the City, institutions and companies (co) owned by the City, be organized in accordance with these measures. Also, the City is obliged to provide or agree with the organizer of public events separate waste collection at the venue, as well as its timely and appropriate collection and disposal.
The aim of the project is to reduce the use of single use plastics and plastic pollution in the Adriatic and Mediterranean by implementing sustainable waste management measures based on the principles of reduce, reuse, recycle in the Municipality of Sali on Dugi otok and in Stari Grad on Hvar Island.
The project leader is the Association for Nature, Environment and Sustainable Development Sunce, and the partners are the City of Stari Grad (island of Hvar), Municipality of Sali (island of Dugi otok), Friends of the Earth Croatia (ZA), and associates SMILO, Initiative for Zlarin without plastic. Project is financed by Beyond Med Association.
The project is supported by the World Wide Fund for Nature, which has already started implementing similar decisions in Dubrovnik and Trogir as part of “Plastic Smart Cities Croatia“.