Practical-Active-Together-Interdisciplinary! – Service learning programs for the environment and sustainable development
A two-year long project Practical-Active-Together-Interdisciplinary! – Service learning programs for the environment and sustainable development started on March 19, 2018. years.
The general goal of the project PAZI! is to increase awareness of the importance of adopting and applying knowledge and skills, civic engagement and cross-sectoral environmental protection cooperation and sustainable development. Through the project and the implementation of service learning programs will stimulate the active engagement of students, teachers, strengthen inter-sector cooperation and promote and encourage socially useful learning for environmental protection and sustainable development.
Association Sunce is the project leader, while project partners are 4 faculties in Split – Croatia, Faculty of Chemistry and Technology, Faculty of Economics, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences and one Alumni Associations of former students and friends of the Chemical Technology Faculty
Specific objectives of the project are:
- Up-date and develop new service learning programs in environmental protection and ensure their implementation and sustainability and
- Strengthen the capacities of higher education institutions and the capacities of civil society organizations to implement socially useful learning programs
The main activities of the project are grouped into three key elements:
- Evaluation of existing programs of service learning, improvement and development of new programs and accompanying plans,
- Provide socially useful learning programs, monitoring implementation and ensure sustainability,
- Encourage, inform and strengthen the capacity of faculty and CSO staff and teachers/professors to implement service learning programs.
- Developt methodology for evaluating service learning programs and implemented evaluation of the so-called service learning programs. Based on the results of the evaluation, existing ones will be improved and new service learning programs will be developed for each faculty partner. The evaluation carried out will contribute to the successful implementation of the service learning program during the course of the project.
- A total of 450 students will be informed of the program. Service learning programs will be implemented for 4 groups of students; In total there will be 4 introductory workshops, 4 motivational and 4 final workshops. Developedt service learning programs for at least 15 student works related to service learning activities (seminar, research, master thesis)with the total of 8 community-friendly environmental projects implemented. 30 directly involved students in, empowered and educated for active engagement in environmental and nature protection. By participating in the implementation, 8 mentoring teachers are encouraged, educated and involved in various service learning programs being conducted with the partners.
- Exchange of knowledge and experience among the partners, international universities and organizations and other Croatian universities / faculties as well as civil society organizations (CSO) employees on the implementation of service learning programs through the Conference on Service Learning for 60 participants. The conference materials will be prepared and published in 100 copies. Two educational workshops on service learning for CSO, teachers and employees and one workshop for Faculty Law faculty members will be held. 1 service learning training will be designed and implemented for one local CSO in Split Croatia.
- Project and project activitieswill be promoted among end users, in the media and among the general public. Project website created within Sunce’s website (www.sunce-st.org) and project partners. Regularly supplemented Facebook page of the Sunce Association and project partners (on average 8 releases per partner) and the website of all partners (averaged 6 articles per partner); 6 radio shows will be produced and broadcasted on project and project activities; 20 appearances in the media on local TV and radio stations and informing the general public about project activities through articles in print media and on internet portals and through promotional materials.
The project is funded under the Operational Program “Effective Human Resources” 2014 – 2020 by the European Social Fund and co-financed by the Office for Governmental Organizations of the Republic of Croatia.
The total amount of the project is: 1.272.288,34 kn, with co-financing through the ESF of 1.025.450,89 kn.