For plastic free Croatian Islands
Sunce Association Split started the implementation of the project „For plastic free Croatian Islands“ on October 1 this year. The project is funded by Beyond Med Association (www.beyondplasticmed.org).
The overall goal of the project is to contribute to reducing the use of disposable plastics, as well as reducing plastic pollution in the Adriatic and therefore the Mediterranean Sea, by implementing sustainable waste management measures based on the principles of reducing, reusing, recycling in the municipality of Sali on Dugi otok and Stari Grad on the island Hvar.
Specific objectives of the project:
- Increase of specific knowledge and available information on waste management, disposable plastic use and the level of plastic pollution in the two local island communities.
- Educate and raise public awareness of the impact of plastic pollution on the marine environment, advocate key stakeholders for sustainable waste management based on the principles of reduce, reuse and recycle.
- Contribute to building a partnerships and strengthening the capacity of local partners to implement sustainable waste management and reduce the use of disposable plastics and plastic pollution in the two local island communities.
The project holder is Association for Nature, Environment and Sustainable Development Sunce, and the partners are the City of Stari Grad (Island Hvar), the Municipality of Sali (Island Dugi Otok) and Friends of the Earth Croatia (Zelena akcija). Collaborators are: SMILO, Initiative for Zlarin without plastic; and the project is supported by the World Wide Fund for Nature.
Main project activities:
- Conducting an analysis on the use of disposable plastics and waste plastic management in the included island communities.
- Development of a “Plastic-Free Plan” for each island involved through a participatory approach and stakeholder workshops.
- Implementation of the Plan without plastic.
- Organization of public events and public forums in local island communities aimed at raising awareness of the local population about the consequences of plastic pollution.
- Implement a national campaign to raise awareness of the impact of plastic pollution on the marine environment and available sustainable solutions.
- Organization of a study trip to learn about examples of good practice and waste management solutions in island communities.
- Organization of a workshop for the development of a Communication Plan and advocacy activities, workshops for capacity building and networking of partners and environmental organizations working on this topic.
- Final conference in Split is aimed at disseminating project results and encouraging further reduction of plastic waste for representatives of local island authorities, national and international NGOs, local self-government, representatives of the Croatian Chamber of Commerce, the Tourist Board, relevant Ministries and others.
Project start: October 1, 2020
Project duration: 24 months