Project “Cross Border Marine Nature 2000 Mapping, Monitoring and Management” (abbreviated name “4M project”) started in July 2014.
The project aims to increase capacities and foster cross border communication and cooperation between Croatia and Montenegro in relation to natural resources management.
Overall objective: Improved management and reduced impacts on marine habitats and species of EU community importance in the cross border area.
• Raise capacities and enhance inter sector cooperation in the identification, monitoring and management of marine habitats and species of EU community importance in the cross border area.
• Increase data collection capacities and knowledge on the distribution and state of marine habitats and species of EU community importance in the cross border area.
• Increase awareness of main users of the Adriatic Sea for minimizing their impacts on the marine environment in the cross border area.
• Seminar on marine Natura 2000 sites identification and management;
• ABC Management planning training;
• Development of management measures for potential marine Natura 2000 sites in the cross border area;
• Capacity building for field mapping and monitoring;
• Mapping of marine habitats/species in potential Natura 2000 sites and setting up monitoring of Posidonia oceanica meadows;
• Information dissemination campaign among nautical tourists in cross border area;
• Educational and awareness rising program in local cross border communities.
• Shared best national and international practices on marine Natura 2000 identification and management, intersector recommendations for improvements, enhanced understanding, cross border and inter sector communication and cooperation in marine nature conservation.
• Increased capacity of relevant institutions from cross border in marine nature protection management planning.
• Build capacity for representatives of CSOs and authorities for performing marine habitats/species, mapping and Posidonia monitoring and supporting field scientific research implemented by research institutions.
• Cavtat-Prevlaka (CRO) and Cape Arza-Platamuni area (MN) cross border area management measures developed through consultation process and communicated to relevant authorities.
• Cavtat-Prevlaka (CRO) and Cape Arza-Platamuni area (MN) cross border area marine habitats/species distribution map, Posidonia state report and conservation measures proposal.
• Increased awareness of nautical tourists as main users of the Adriatic Sea for minimizing their impacts on the marine environment, as well school and kindergarden children about importance of preserving marine environment in cross border area.
The project is funded within the Cross – Border Programme Croatia – Montenegro under the Instrument for Pre – Accession Assistance (IPA).
Total value of the project is 283.265,39 euro and the EU co-finances project with 333.253,39 euro. Croatian Contracting Authority is the Agency for Regional Development of the Republic of Croatia.