ADRIREEF project (Innovative exploitation of Adriatic Reefs in order to strengthen Blue Economy) started on 01.12.2018. and will last for a total of 36 months (untill November 30th 2021).
ADRIREEF aims to examine the potentiality of reefs in the Adriatic Sea in order to strengthen the Blue Economy. The term „blue economy“ refers to the sustainable use of ocean resources for economic growth, improved livelihoods, and jobs while preserving the health of ocean ecosystem. Along with specific regulations and frequent monitoring, the project will therefore open concrete possibility to protect the environment and create new economic activities.
The project leader is Municipality of Ravenna, and partners are Regional agency for prevention, environment and energy in Emilia Romagna (Agenzia regionale per la prevenzione l’ambiente e l’energia dell’Emilia Romagna), National research council (Consiglio nazionale delle ricerche, Roma), Regional agency for environmental prevention and protection of the Puglia region (Agenzia regionale per la prevenzione l’ambiente e l’energia della Regione Puglia), National institute of oceanography and experimental geophysics (Istituto nazionale di oceanografia e di geofisica sperimentale, Trieste), Public institution RERA for coordination and development of Split Dalmatia County, Zadar County development agency Zadra Nova, University of Zadar, Ruđer Bošković Institute, Faculty of Maritime Studies Rijeka and Association for nature, environment and sustainable development Sunce.
Specific objectives of the project are:
- To enhance the potential of Adriatic reefs to increase blue economy and therefore employability;
- To test innovative integrated monitoring systems with low environmental impact;
- To draft recommendations and guidelines for a sustainable exploitation of Adriatic reefs.
Estimated results are:
- Thanks to the ADRIREEF project, the perception of the Adriatic Sea as an attractive area for the development of small and medium-sized businesses will be improved;
- The reef areas will be better explored as a potential for economic growth;
- Individuals and organizations will become aware of the socio-economic potential of artificial and natural reefs, the importance of sustainable growth, which will enhance their sense of “ownership” over these areas;
- Research institutions and decision-makers will have access to innovative and sustainable monitoring methods, useful for long-term assessment of reefs;
- Entrepreneurs will get the latest information and educational opportunities about existing and new ideas for starting a new business and improving existing ones;
- Local/regional institutions and investors will have multidisciplinary analysis of current practices, innovative ideas and financial plans for sustainable and efficient reef use, tools to develop policies, strategies and action plans for environmental and economic improvement of reefs and surrounding areas;
- Possibilities of financing initiatives for the sustainable use of reefs from a scientific and economic point of view.
The project is funded under the 2014 – 2020 Interreg V-A, Italy – Croatia CBC Program https://www.italy-croatia.eu/web/adrireef
The total amount of the project is 2.814.830,00 €, of which the Program finances a total of 2.392.605,50 €.
Project is co-financed by the Government Office for Cooperation with NGOs.
Project manager: MSc. Matea Špika, mag.biol
- E-mail: [email protected]